Filed under: opinion, politics | Tags: cease-fire, gaza, Hamas, Israel, peace, posted by zionismlives, Rockets, war
This is going to be more of a controversial post. Bear with me. And, keep in mind, I love Israel with all my heart. It just needs to be put in its place every now and again, especially with so many Jews spewing blind, pro-Israel propaganda these days.
I will not deny the suffering of Southern Israel. And I do not believe the world should deny it either, although it does on a daily basis. The physical damage the daily rockets, that now endanger over one million lives, inflict is nothing compared to the mental damage they inflict. I just saw a report that said more than 75% of children in Sderot and surrounding areas suffer from various forms of trauma.
However, I am fundamentally against any full out war, especially one that has caused 920 deaths—43% of them, according to CNN, civilians. That is just short of 400 innocent Palestinian men, women, and children that have died so far. Yes, we must be amazed at the precision of the IDF’s campaign in making the other 57% of the casualties Hamas. But, that previous number is still astounding, and makes the costs of this War too much. Israel has claimed that a much higher percentage of the deaths are Hamas—an obvious discrepancy that comes from different meanings of the term “civilian.” To Israel, anyone that is in some way related to Hamas is considered a militant. That means all the people working in the government and all the people working for the social branch of Hamas are considered militants. A secretary in a government office and a social worker should never be considered militants. Israel sends flyers and makes calls to the civilians that there is going to be a bombing, but, where do the civilians go when their movement is greatly restricted by IDF ground troops and the simple fact that none of them can leave the country? In addition, Israel has made a few mistakes about civilians.
The example of the Samouni family is a good one. They were living in a Hamas-controlled area, and were told by the IDF to move themselves into one house for their safety. That night, the building was shelled, killing 30 members of the family. The wounded were not able to be helped for days even though IDF soldiers and tanks were just 50 meters from the building, because the army said it was too dangerous for aid workers to enter the scene. (The article about the incedent)
There is also the issue of the humanitarian crises in Gaza that world leaders have gone on about and Israel denies. Yes, Israel is letting in tons and tons of food and supplies into Gaza, but there are two questions. Is it enough to supply more than 1.5 million people who are under constant ground and air attack and have been living under a blockade (that any other country would consider an act of war) for the past 2 years? And, once it is actually into Gaza will it be able to get around the military crawling on the ground to actually get to the civilians? (A good example of lack of mobility) To me, neither of those questions have been answered by Israel.
To me, the only real solution to this war right now is for Hamas to stop firing rockets on innocent civilians, Israel to end their blockade of the people of Gaza, and Egypt to step up their border security so that rockets from Iran cannot get into Gaza.
A longtime solution can come with dialogue between Israel and Hamas. If they need an intermediary, so be it, and President Obama should make it a point to be that person. But, the cease-fire this summer proved that Hamas would greatly limit their rocket-firing even when Israel did not lessen the blockade that is collectively punishing the Gazans. Fatah was once as extreme as Hamas in its treatment of civilians on both side of the conflict. And now Israel, America, and the Western World place our hopes for peace upon the small shoulders of Mahmud Abbas. That is because all extreme movements will eventually die out when they see their failure and turn more moderate. Hamas is no different. If Israel can make sure it is next to impossible for Hamas to rearm from Iran, a cease-fire would work and continue for years and years until Hamas chose to accept peace, not war.
Until that day, I wait. Along with all lovers of Israel who cannot stand to see it fighting wars that could be avoided with some open discussions with the other side.
9 Comments so far
Leave a comment